1. Modeling is a Business: as a model you are your own product that you have to market. Like any business it takes time, effort, commitment and patience to become a successful model. Remember that success does not happen instantly!
2. Present Yourself as the Perfect Candidate: show confidence, have a good attitude and a friendly personality. Show your personal style, but keep it clean and simple and always make a good first impression.
3. Keep a Healthy Lifestyle: drink a lot of water, workout 3-6 times per week, get 7-8 hours of sleep each night, do not smoke cigarettes and keep drinking to a minimum.
4. Look After Your Skin and Hair: use natural skin & hair care products, keep your make-up natural looking, wash your face every night to avoid blemishes and have your hair trimmed regularly.
5. Apply and Attend as Many Castings and Open-calls as Possible: For models, a casting or an open-call is a job interview and should be regarded as such. Make sure you are prepared!
6. Model Agency Representation: If you are looking for representation within a model agency, or if a model agency contacts you, make sure the contract is reliable and includes the standard conditions of the industry. Keep an eye on the following points: percentage of commission, duration of contract, cancellation terms, exclusiveness and any hidden cost or fees (basically read the small print!) Don’t sign a contract if you do not feel 100% sure!
7. Build Your Portfolio: Have your friend take some pictures for you or when you’re ready, get your headshots professionally done. With the technology today there are so many ways to get your pictures quickly and easily.
8. Know Yourself and Your Strengths: It’s very important to know what you’re able to do and what you want to do as a model. Many models end up working as models accidentally or by chance, while others work hard to become models. In either case, it’s good to be aware of what it takes to work as a professional model. You can always try out classes or modeling schools where they teach you everything from how to pose to being more confident.
9. Don’t Give Up: You will encounter rejection at some point in your career. Don’t let that deter you from going after your dreams! All new models experience rejection, so stick to your goals, work hard and connect to the right people.
10. Take Advantage of Technology: With Instagram, Twitter, Facebook, Pintrest, We Heart It and so many other fashion blogging sites and apps, it is silly to not take advantage of it. The Internet can be a great way to connect and get noticed, but only in the right way: professionally.