Thanks to Sport Illustrated swimsuit models have been able to gather more publicity and exposure than they ever have before. However, models have been modeling bathing suits for much longer than SI has been around, which begs the question. Who are some of the best swimsuit models to ever be photographed?
We’ve decided to list our favorites and we invite you to comment below and list some of your favorite swimsuit models as well. So without further a-do here is MSA’s top swimsuit models of all time:
Top Swimsuit Models
- Marilyn Monroe
- It goes without saying that Marilyn is one of the top models in swimwear of all time. This is a pretty obvious choice, but we thought she was definitely worth mentioning. In the early part of her career, Marilyn Monroe posed in swimsuits for military magazines and pinup magazines. These swimwear shoots were done right before the launching of her acting career and became a famous movie star.
- Kathy Ireland
- The California native started an acting career in the late 80’s and then appeared on the cover of Sports Illustrated Swimsuit Edition’s most popular issue ever in 1989. She continued to be featured in 13 consecutive issues after that!
- Naomi Campbell
- She was one of the most recognizable faces (and bikini bodies) during the supermodel era of the early 90’s. Discovered at the age of 15, the British model worked the runway for famous designers like Chanel. She broke fashion’s color barrier by being one of the first black models to make the cover of many magazines.
- Rebecca Romijn began her modeling career in 1991, working the runway and starring in ad campaigns for Victoria’s Secret. The blonde bombshell was on the cover of the 1999 SI Swimsuit Edition. She even posed for a ‘Got Milk’ ad in New York’s Time Square in 1998, in a bikini.
- Heidi Klum
- The German beauty has been a fan favorite in Sports Illustrated’s Swimsuit Edition and one of Victoria’s Secret’s most famous Angels. She has walked down the runway at the Victoria’s Secret Fashion Shows many times, wearing beautiful swimwear even soon after having a baby!
- Kate Upton
- This list would not be complete without Kate Upton who is one of the most popular swimsuit models in the new millennium. Upton was name Rookie of the Year after appearing in SI during the 2011 calendar year. She then went on to be the cover model for both the 2012 and 2013 issues.